As some of you know, I’m currently learning French. It’s an arduous process, especially since I took Spanish all throughout my schooling (I’m pretty sure I will always mix up “el” and “le”). Anywho, I’ve compiled a list of phrases, some that the creators of Rosetta Stone and Duolingo think are important, and more importantly, the ones that I think are important.
1) Le poisson est rouge. This is an EXTREMELY important phrase according to Rosetta. I might not know how to say “Where is the bathroom?” or “Help me, I’m bleeding profusely from my skull,” but at least I’ll know how to tell people that yes, that fish is in fact red.
2) J’aime le vin rouge. Here the color red comes much more in handy. Thanks Duolingo, you know my tastes….or at least you know that I like red wine.
3) Vous êtes seul. Now we all have to question our very existence. YOU ARE ALONE. Thanks Duolingo, now I need more of that vin rouge.
4) Il a un petit requin. This is probably the most important phrase I’ve learned so far. “He has a small shark.” Never trust a man with a small shark. Plus de vin rouge s’il vous plaît.
5) Sale. Look at that, I can joke in French. I might not understand what people are saying, but replying with the word “dirty” will make it seem like I do. Hey, it works in English, right? Now if I could only learn how to say “giggity”.
6) Rien n’ est éternel. Nothing is eternal. Either I’m supposed to take another good, long look at my life…or I’m just supposed to realize that I will never remember all of these phrases. Either way, Plus de vin rouge s’il vous plaît.
7) J’ai faim. I’ll end this list with what is actually the most important phrase. I’m hungry. Did you hear me? I’M HUNGRY. Also, Plus de vin rouge s’il vous plaît.